The Latino Alumni chapter established in spring of 2002 and became a chapter in the CSU, Sacramento Alumni Association. The chapter serves to foster a lifelong interest in education and connection with graduates and the University.
- Chican@ Latin@ Graduation Ceremony, December 2015
- Spring Latino Alumni Mixer, April 2016
- End of the Year Scholarship Banquet, May 2016
The mission of the Latino Alumni Chapter is to:
- Build and sustain relationship among Sacramento State students, alumni, the University and the greater Sacramento community
- Foster a lifelong interest in education and promote civic engagement for the advancement of current and future Latino students
- Provide financial support for current students through scholarship awards.
ABOUT THE LATINO ALUMNI CHAPTER
Demographics within colleges and universities across the nation, state, and our local regions are quickly changing. Latinos are now, for the first time in history, the largest minority group enrolled in universities across the nation.
At Sacramento State:
- Latino enrollment for first-time freshman has seen a 369% increase in less than two decades, from 262 in 1994 to 967 in 2013
- Latinos are the largest minority, constituting 25% of the total undergraduate student population, making Sacramento State a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI)
As the Latino student population at Sacramento State grows, do too does the need for resources that encourage access and graduation for this population. The Latino Alumni Chapter and its members aim to serve as a hub of motivation for Latino students and the greater Sacramento community to establish connections for success.
Join the Chapter today and become an agent of change! By becoming a member of teh Latino Alumni Chapter, you will have the opportutniy to:
- Establish professional networks with other alumni
- Take part in special events
- Develop mentorship programs for current and future Latino students
- Garner financial resources to assist current students in attaining their academic goals
- A Taste of Etiquette Diner, November 2015
- Chapter's Tailgate, October 2015
- Univision Contigo - Educación Phone Bank, October 2015
- 3rd Annual Feria de Educación, September 2015
- La Raza Bienvenida, Septemver 2015
- Latino Alumni Chapter Mixer, August 2015
2015-16 BOARD MEMBERS
- President, Adan Chaidez
- Vice President, Adriana Del Toro Cervantes '11
- Secretary, Norma Mendoza '15
- Treasurer, Isabel Ibarra '10
- Committee Liaison, Berenice Espitia '14
- Student Representative, Maria Rivas '17
- Public Relations Representative, Leslie Valdivia '14
2015-16 BOARD MEETINGS
The Latino Alumni Chapter Board meets every other Thursday at The Vault inside Lassen Hall, 1013 from 5:15pm to 6:15pm. If you are interested in attending a meeting, please confirm your attendance at least 48 hours prior to the meeting by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- October 22
- November 5
- November 19
- December 3
- December 17
- January 14
- January 28
- February 11
- February 25
- March 10
- March 24
- April 7
- April 21
- May 5
- May 19
- June 2
- June 16
- June 30
GOALS OF THE 2015-16 BOARD
- Promote and facilitate opportunities for leadership, fellowship, and excellence through effective social and professional networking event amongst Chapter members, Lation Sacramento State students, the University, other alumni chapters, and the Sacramento community
- Engage with Sacramento State's new HSI designation, and organize and promote social and cultural events that further enrich the culture and campus life of Sacramento State
- Revamp the Chapter to strengthen current and prospect membership, expand scholarship fund, and provide assistance and support to other Latino organization that promote Latino higher education
Events: The events committee is designed to coordinate the end-of-the-year banquet; develop event programs, facilitate conferences, social and community events' and to determine partnerships with other organization, aassociations and business on an annual basis.
Membership: The goal of the membership committee is to encourage member participation in activities and events; actively recruit new members to the chapter; and dertermine how to engage members of the chapter, Sacramento State students, and the greater Sacramento community.
Mentorship: The purpose of the mentorship committee is to implement a mentoring program for Sacramento State Latino students.
Scholarships: The scholarship committee is in charge of establishing a scholarship fund for Sacramento State students. It is in charge with fundraising and allocation money for the scholarship. Additionally, is establishes criteria, deadlines and the application process; and it reviews and nominates potential recipents of the scholarships.
For more information or to learn how you can get involved contact us at email@example.com.
Sign up for a membership in the Latino Alumni Chapter today!
For more information, please contact Leslie Valdivia at firstname.lastname@example.org.